It was 5,000 years ago that marble was carved on Tinos Islands, for the first time in history. Tinos is Greek island situated in Aegean Sea, and located in the Cyclades archipelago.
Since then marble and the history of these islands have are combine together
Since Ancient times through the end of the Roman empire, marble from the quarries of Tinos Paros and Naxos was used to build temples, theatres and public edifices in Mediterranean.
On top of that during this period was characterized by the inovation of tools used to quarry, shape and adorn marble stone, that we still use them to carve till this days.
During the Byzantine period Tinos and ather Cycladic island was occupied by Venetian control for 5 centuries (1207 to 1715)
This occupation explains the truly “Golden Age” of Greek painting, sculpture and art of 18th century.
After Tinos was taken by the Ottoman Empire in 1715 a disproportionate number of its population were superior marble sculptors, painters and artists.
With an entire empire now open to them, these Tinos artists and artisans were in demand throughout the Balkans, southern Russia and Asia Minor.
When Greece gain its independence from Turkey in 1821 began to rebuild itself with the help of her masterful Tiniot marble workers.
Tinos remains until today the most famous marble carving center in Greece. The work of her modern marble masters can be seen around the world. The largest number of marble carvers presently working of the restoration of the Parthenon and other Acropolis buildings come from Tinos.